Developing Experts - 'Should do' task
If you have any problems logging on to Developing Experts, please email us. Please see the email and letter with your individual code. There will be a new lesson on the website each Monday.
This week's lesson is 'Understand that some changes to materials are not reversible'.
For each lesson, watch the presentation, then scroll down for the quiz, assessment and a wordsearch. Click on the Narration button to hear the words. Each lesson has 'Rocket words' (key vocabulary) to learn and test yourself on. There is a 'Mission Assignment' each week to extend your learning, if you have time.
This week, there is a choice of two tasks:
Chemical Reaction or Not?
Use the Mission Assignment film and follow the instructions on the handout below to help with this experiment. This experiment is to test the different reactions from various liquids.
Observe to see if a chemical reaction occurs in each mixture. You do not need test tubes - just use any container you have to hand. (see resources for more help).
Cup Cake Challenge
110g butter, softened
110g caster sugar
110g plain flour
2 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
2 medium eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
• Preheat the oven to 180C/ 350F / Gas 4. Line a muffin tin with paper cases.
• Put the butter and sugar in a bowl and beat until pale and fluffy.
• Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into the bowl.
• Beat the eggs and vanilla and add to the bowl. Beat until just combined.
• Spoon the mixture into the paper cases.
• Bake for 18 to 20 minutes until risen, golden and firm to the touch.
• Cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Does a chemical reaction happen?
Finish these sentences:
If a change is irreversible, it means...
Irreversible change happens when…