Reading Comprehension - Must Do Task.
Grammar and Punctuation - Must Do Tasks
Writing Tasks - Must Do.
Last week, you thought about some of the experiences you have had since school closed.
I think we would all agree there have been some 'good' things and some 'not so good' things about learning at home.
This week we are going to start a unit of work on 'Discussion'. You may remember we did some work on this back in January, when we discussed whether children should be given homework.
Our question is going to be - 'Is learning at home better than learning in school?'
Think carefully about the good and not so good things about both learning in school and learning at home. Start by making a list of the pros and cons of each type of learning. I have started you off with an idea for each.
Learning at Home
Good Not so Good
Work at own pace Teachers and TA's not there to give help
Learning at School
Good Not so Good
Good to have other children to get ideas from Time limits to get work finished.
This week you are just going to concentrate on writing one paragraph which is going to tell me YOUR viewpoint. So you need to decide if you prefer to learn at home or at school. Choose up to 5 reasons why you think this.
- Have a go at drafting a paragraph to give your view.
- Think about the structure of your writing.
- It should use sentence starts shown below.
I believe that it is better to learn at.......... My first reason is........
In addition to this.......Furthermore.........Lastly..........
- Remember to give full reasons with examples to justify (back up) your reasons.
- When you have completed your 1st draft try to look for ways to improve it. Does it make good sense? Have you explained each reason clearly? Have you used some of the sentence starts to build up your view point? Can you correct any spellings?
Next week we will look at how to write both sides of this discussion so that we give reasons FOR and AGAINST.